Monday, July 11, 2011

Musings: Ombré Nails

All the cool girls in the blogosphere seem to be rocking ombré nails (see my French style terms post for more on the term). So of course I had to get in on the act. Here are a few of the lovely examples I've seen:

Symphony
Mode Bay Area has some good how-to tips as well.

After the jump, more inspiration and my first attempt.


If you like nail blogs, you should really check out my friend Ruby and her girlfriends over at You See Nail (they work at UCSF).
Kiss and Tell Beauty Blog
In addition to creating the effect with different colors on each nail, the artistically inclined can build a gradient of color on individual nails. This seems to work best with metallic and glitter polishes. 

Food For The Nails
Symphony

 I don't often do my fingernails. I keep them short and try to moisturize my cuticles frequently (Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Creme). In junior high and high school I used to get acrylic overlays. That  was the only way I could have a manicure last more than a day or to. Instead I focus on my pedicure. So with the Internet's constant barrage of ombré manis, I gave into peer pressure. Here are the colors I picked:

(I may have accidentally switched the Wet N' Wilds for the pic...but you get the idea)

The only nail color here bought recently (i.e since junior high) is the darkest one on the far left, it's Forever 21. They have lots of fun colors. Don't ask me what shade, since I bought it in store and it's not labeled on the bottle (a grave oversight).  I very highly recommend Seche Base and Seche Vite, they really do dry (sécher in French) very quickly (vite).  The woman at the beauty supply store aptly described Seche Vite as "Saran Wrap for your manicure".



I think it came out pretty well. I'm sure to impress the other lap swimmers at the pool. Next time I may try being artistic and mixing my own palette (starting with a dark shade and adding a light one). Or, I might use this as and excuse to by 5 more perfectly gradated polishes.  In the future, I'll also avoid mixing matte (on the big toe) and shimmery (on the rest) polishes.

22 comments:

  1. after going through ur post..
    i have started to love this art of neail polishing! :D
    everything luks so fine!
    x0x0

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i love this! such a brilliant idea
    http://anairofsurprise.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh- I absolutely LOVE the look of this!!! Thanks so much for posting these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this trend! makes me want to do it right now! great blog! im following, follow back? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, lovely colours!!:D Totally love the glitter ones!!:D

    Stop by some time:D

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your blog.. i'm following you..

    http://bohenvoyage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. ill have to share this with my sister...she will love.

    stopping by from FF&P :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE it! Unfortunately, my nails are in one of their way-too-short stages. I'll need to grow them out a bit more to rock this look.

    Great post. Hope you'll stop by and say hello...

    Cindy @ Notes in the Key of Life

    ReplyDelete
  9. great minds think alike- I'm posting on nails too! I think something about the summer puts you in a fun mood to try new ideas. I think I may try the ombre with glitter on each nail- we'll see how it turns out!

    I'm stopping by from Flip Flops & Pearls!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty!! I'd love my nails to look like the shades of pink in the first photo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cindy, I totally understand about your nail length. That's why I just paint my toes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love the ombré look! But, I'm too chicken to try it, so I stick with the basic French manicure!

    Stopping by from FF&P, have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These pictures are great~ love the blue glitter set! Visiting from FF&P.

    ReplyDelete
  14. so cool!!! i love the tan/nude colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh, I love this! Ombre nails look so pretty!!! :)

    -Vicki http://myvickiliciouslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stopping by from FF&P!! Loving all the purty colors! Fabulous pink pedicure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi again, Julia! I just wanted to respond to your comment about Kate's weight. I agree, she is looking too thin. I do hope she'll put a few pounds back on--she can well afford to!

    Cindy @ Notes in the Key of Life

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow you are so creative,
    followin' for sure.


    http://thepileofstyle.blogspot.com/
    my blog. tell me what do you think, I really wanna know someone's so fashionable's thinking
    :*

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really love it! I need to try that once ❤

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow this is so cool, GENIUS idea! :)

    http://noirlabelle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love glitter nails!! :)

    I really love your blog !!
    I follow you :D
    ... maybe if you want, you could visit my blog too, (I hope your like it) ;)
    Kisses from México city!
    htto://modacapitalblog.com

    ReplyDelete