Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

I spend so much pop culture energy on blogging about Arrested Development, I feel like I've been neglecting movies lately.  As such, I have resolved to make sure to go to the movies once a week this summer.  I'm already a little behind, so today I saw Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. It obviously wasn't the best in the series, but I was sufficiently entertained.


The most significant difference was Penelope Cruz stepping into the Keira Knightly lead female role. She certainly has the advantage in the heaving bosom department, and I liked her character. I thought the recurring theme of religion in the movie was interesting from a historical perspective, with the handsome missionary and Spanish characters.

I'm kind of really into the history of piracy in this period, so I could go on all day. Instead, I'll share some cute pirate inspired jewelry. To start with this pendant from ModCloth captures the feel of the one worn by Cruz' character.

ModCloth: Cross Marks the Spot Necklace
After the jump, lots more fun nautical treasures to bring some rebel pirate spirit to your jewelry box!

Hand Stamped Skull Pendant with Black Pearl
These octopi are reminiscent of Dead Man's Chest.  I've found a real silver one, as well as a cheaper option:
Silver Mini Octopus Necklace
"My Pet Octopus" Necklace
Mermaids feature prominently in this latest installment of the series:

Siren Talisman
Fine Silver Mermaid Necklace
Filigree Vintage Mermaid Necklace
And finally a couple funky statement necklaces directly inspired by the series:
"The Bride of Jack Sparrow" Pirate Charm Necklace
"On Stranger Tides A Pirate's Talisman"

2 comments:

  1. I'm a new follower from the fashion hop!
    Love the jewelry. I especially like mermaids for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following. I love the mermaids too! I think we all have a soft spot since Ariel, even though the ones in the new Pirates movie were mostly monsters, I refuse to accept that into my mystical understanding.

    ReplyDelete