Sunday, May 22, 2011

Musings: Summer Essentials

From L to R: J.Crew, Havaianas Slim, Flojos, Old Navy, Old Navy, H(avaianas) Top, Old Navy, H. Top, Old Navy, Delia*s, H. Top, Old Navy, Sea Club, H. Slim
What says summer more than a graphic t-shirt, a pair of flip-flops and some cute shades? Today I'm going to share my collections of all three, plus as always, a few links where you can find the same styles. To read more about my flip-flop philosophy specifically, head on over to this post first.


 

After the jump, I pair up my sunglasses and flip-flops with my most ridiculously ironic statement T-shirts.


The whole point of my t-shirt collection is that they are very specialized pop culture references. As such, I'll put a link to the wiki article describing whatever show, book, or movie is referenced, plus a link to where you can find the shirt if it's still out there.

Wallace & Grommit T, MICHAEL Michael Kors Sunglasses, Havaiana's Top in Light Gold
The Big Lebowski "The Dude Abides" T- shirt(available here), Old Navy two tone cat eye sunglasses
Havaiana's Slim in Navy
"So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" T-Shirt, Havaiana's Top in White
For those of you who aren't Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fans (why not?), here's a clip from the most recent film adaptation explaining the reference on this shirt.


Huell Howser of Calfornia's Gold, Kate Spade Sunglasses
"You Can't Handle the Truthiness" Colbert Report t-shirt, Flojos flip-flops
Mars Investigations Veronica Mars T-Shirt, Gap Jelly T-Strap Sandals

"Flatpoint High: Go Donkeys!" Strangers with Candy T-Shirt,  Old Navy Glitter Flip-Flops
 I love this Strangers with Candy T-shirt in particular, since it looks so much like a regular school shirt that to the uninitiated someone might just think, 'well that's a curious mascot' but not realize that it's a fictional school.
"Do Not Disturb: I am McLovin" Superbad T-Shirt & Old Navy flip-flops
Finally, let's finish up with the crown jewels of my pop culture T collection: my Arrested Development shirts.
"George Bush Doesn't Care about Black Puppets" / "Mr. Manager" / "¡Soy Loco Por Los Cornballs!"
Fanboy Shirts
Cafe Press, Chanel Sunglasses
This is perhaps the most specialty shirt of them all. The reference is not even to a quote on the show, but rather a shirt a character wears on a show, which itself is a pun. A hippie woman at the gym complimented me on this one, even though she hadn't seen the show.


Here's Kanye apologizing years later for his infamous 'George Bush doesn't care about Black people' statement in Katrina's aftermath. I would agree with Kanye's reassessment that Bush isn't racist. A more apt statement would be "George Bush doesn't care about poor people. Especially poor black people." George Bush clearly likes some black people, (Condi, Collin, I'm looking at you) as long as they are like him. This whole apology thing five years later is just silly, but you would expect two megalomaniacs with a beef to act ridiculous. Here's HuffPo's rundown of what went down last year.


Ok, back to the fashion. I paired Franklin's shirt with these yellow sandals I got in France:

Sandals from Minelli
Lastly, my "¡Soy loco por los cornballs!" shirt, a line from the Mexican infomercial for George Senior's Cornballer.
Cafe Press

No comments:

Post a Comment