Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Musings: One-Piece Swimsuits

Visit Esther Williams' Offical Site!
Get Go Retro: Lucille Ball, 1943
This season, I'm so excited for all the retro-inspired swimwear out there. This post will focus on one-pieces, you can read about my favorite retro bikinis as well. I've discovered that film legend and synchronized swimming pioneer Esther Williams has her own line of suits, including plus sizes! Here are a couple below available at ModCloth:

Beach Blanket Bingo Plus Size One Piece
Retro Swimwear: Yakity Yak Red Halter
Bathing Beauty Plus Size One Piece in Bronze
This bronze one is such a unique color for swimwear. I'm definitely putting a suit from Esther Williams on my to-buy list, however they are a bit of an investment at $90. That is totally reasonable for a good suit these days, just not when you have as many suits as I do. In the meantime, Forever 21+ online has some other cute styles that are an easier buy at around $30. Here's the one I'm eying:


Delia*s Ruched Bandeau One-Piece
Alloy: Billabong Allie One-Piece


And for those of you that are in the standard size range with a bigger budget, here are few amazing suits from Anthropologie:

Plunging Halter Maillot
Plunging Gaze Maillot
Laughing Gull One-Piece
I'll stop myself there, but you should seriously head on over to see the rest of the collection.

Finally, I'll share the addition to my suit collection I've gotten so far this season. It features some of the retro-inspired styling we've been looking at. The swimsuit looks very upscale for Old Navy at $30, especially the hardware. I was so excited with some of my recent weight loss to get a suit from the standard line!
Striped Swimsuit
For a cover up I am using this swim skirt from Athleta which comes in a rainbow of colors and in sizes XXS-2X!
Sporty shirred swim skirt

No comments:

Post a Comment